Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Peanut Butter Breakfast Pudding


We had a snow day this morning. Well, my husband had a snow day. But, when he's home everybody's happy! So I actually made breakfast for the both of us. Usually breakfast is a quick muffin or bowl of yogurt. But today, we had time to spare! So, I made a recipe I've been eying for quite awhile now- Peanut Butter Breakfast Pudding. And can I just say, it was well worth the five extra minutes it took to make it. That's what's so great about it...it really didn't take long at all, so you could make these even on those busy mornings. It was creamy, chewy, hearty, healthy, and delicious. Yum yum. I got the recipe here. I've been really enjoying her dessert and breakfast recipes. They are creative and delicious, while being very healthy. She's vegan, and while I am anything but, I find most of the recipes to be non-vegan adjustable. :) I really like how she uses natural foods (like bananas and dates) to sweeten most of her recipes. I usually throw in some honey too, but her recipes are a great place for me to start.


Heart Health:
Peanut Butter- Nuts are rich in Vitamin E. This antioxidant vitamin is thought to help prevent heart disease. They also contain amino acids and B vitamins, which are cardio-protective.

Bananas- These lovelies are packed with pectin, which is a soluble fiber that helps lower LDL cholesterol. It also has potassium, which may help lower blood pressure.

Oats- Oats are a wonderful source of saponins, which bind to cholesterol in the digestive tract. They also contain soluble beta-glucan fiber which is helpful for reducing cholesterol.
ber that helps lower LDL cholesterol. It also has potassium, which may help lower blood pressure.


Here's her recipe. The only thing I changed was adding a bit of honey into the blended mixture, then drizzling some on top.



Peanut Butter Breakfast Pudding

  • 1/2 cup rolled oats
  • 1 cup milk of choice
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 a ripe banana
  • 1-2 T peanut butter (or other nut butter)
  • 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • sweetener (the amount will vary, depending on your tastebuds and what milk you use)
  • optional: chocolate chips
Cook the oats, salt, and milk (either on the stove or in the microwave). Meanwhile, blend the pb and banana. Then add your vanilla, sweetener, and 1/2 of the cooked oats to the blender (I used a Magic Bullet) and re-blend. Stir in the rest of the oats. You can blend all the oats if you prefer, but I like the chewiness of leaving some un-blended.

No comments:

Post a Comment