Friday, August 24, 2012

Maple Mustard Chicken


This recipe was deee-licious. And, it was super simple, which is always good. The sweet maple perfectly complements the savory mustard and tangy vinegar. I made this over brown rice, which made it nice and hearty. There was plenty of sauce to spoon over the top, which is always key in dishes like this. I followed the recipe pretty closely, only subbing apple cider vinegar for rice wine, because that's what I had. The only beef (har har...that's what happens when you were raised by a punster and then somehow managed to marry one...) I had with it was that it was a tad bit dry. That could have just been the chicken itself, but I think this recipe would be a perfect crock pot recipe. Next time I think I'll try low and slow all day, to make it nice and tender.Since I really didn't change the recipe, I'll just send you to the original site:


For the brown rice, I simply cooked it in my rice cooker with some extra water (brown rice always takes more than white), 1/4 cup of butter, and 1/4 cup of the marinade (reserved before I added the chicken.)

Heart Health:

Chicken- Poultry is a rich source of selenium, vitamin B12, and vitamin B6, which may help protect against heart disease. It also contains vitamin B12, which helps lower homocysteine levels.

Maple Syrup- maple syrup is a great form of sugar to use, rich in natural minerals instead of empty calories. Always remember to use in moderation though! After all, sugar is still sugar.  

Brown Rice- The complex carbohydrates in whole grains contain indigestible oligosaccharide carbohydrates, which are linked to helping prevent cardiovascular disease. They also contain flavonoids, which are antioxidants also linked to a reduced risk of heart disease and help bolster blood vessels. Lignans and plant sterols may help lower cholesterol, and vitamin E is an antioxidant that may also help prevent heart disease.

No comments:

Post a Comment