Monday, June 28, 2010

Chocolate Caramel Cookies with Sea Salt

Mmm...they're in the oven right now...and they smell FABULOUS. Oh, timer, let me go check...


Yup! Taste fabulous too! And I totally just burned my tongue and fingers on hot caramel...but it was so worth it.
I found this beauty of a recipe on this really cute site: http://twopeasandtheirpod.com/
It's by this cute little couple who cook together. Aw. They have some amazing looking recipes, and so many cookies I want to try (like these Lime Meltaway Cookies, and the New York Times Chocolate Chip Cookies.) I think I will be checking it quite often.

I loved how amazingly simple this recipe was.



A great quick cookie for when you're just craving chocolate and salted caramel...which I just happened to be.


Also, I thought it was going to be messy and sticky from the way the batter looked, but it was perfect. Didn't even stick to the pan.


They have a wonderfully soft and chewy texture, and a great deep, rich chocolate taste. The sea salt adds a lovely bit of pizazz in my opinion, but if that's not your thing, you can just leave it off.


I used sour cream instead of yogurt, because I never have plain yogurt, and because I think sour cream is divine. It's just good, people. And anyway, my philosophy is, if you're going to eat a chocolate caramel cookie, why cut calorie corners with yogurt? I mean, seriously.


The only down side was that the recipe only made about 15 cookies for me. Of course, maybe that's a benefit, since there's no way I can even begin to justify how quickly I'm going to consume them...



Chocolate Caramel Cookies with Sea Salt

1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
¼ teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons butter
7 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa (I used dark cocoa)
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup plain yogurt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Soft caramel, rolled into little balls (I used Peter’s caramel)
Sea salt

Preheat oven to 350ºF; line 2 baking sheets with baking paper, lightly coated with cooking spray. I used Silpats! Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Sift together flour, soda, and salt; set aside.

Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Remove from heat; stir in cocoa powder and sugars (mixture will resemble coarse sand). Add yogurt and vanilla, stirring to combine. Add flour mixture, stirring until moist. Wrap the chocolate dough around the caramel balls. Place balls on cookie sheets and sprinkle with sea salt.

Bake for 10-12 minutes or until almost set. Cool on pans 2 to 3 minutes or until firm. Remove cookies from pans; cool on wire racks.

2 comments:

  1. Mmm.....yummy. I also love PW and Tasty Kitchen. :) 90% of the recipes I've adopted in the last year have been Tasty Kitchen stolen/inspired. Do you contribute??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I've posted a few, but usually I'm too lazy to go to the trouble. : ) But I sure love trying them out! That's my first stop when I'm looking for a recipe.

    ReplyDelete