Wednesday, June 9, 2010

World's Best Chicken Salad



I am about to introduce you to your new favorite Chicken Salad. Trust me. It's A-mazing. It could be the simplicity of the mayo/worcestershire/lemon juice dressing. It could be sweetness of the sundried tomatoes. Or, it could be that bacon that snuck in there somehow...hm.

Let me share a few tips I've learned in making this...it's best cold. So, what I've learned to do, is cook everything the night before, then throw it all together right before we're ready to eat. The flavors definitely marinate the more they sit together, so it's best the first time around, but also makes great leftovers. They just get a little stronger flavor. I also usually just boil the chicken and cook the bacon in the oven (I am cursed when it comes to frying bacon...I can't do it. So, I've learned to bake it. I usually just lay a piece of parchment paper in the bottom of a baking pan with sides and put the bacon on in one layer. Then I just toss it in the oven at 400. I check it after about 15 minutes, flip the bacon, and cook it a few minutes more until it's done. It takes longer than a pan, but it's sooo much less frustrating. And totally just as bad for you, so no worries there. ; )
Finally, when I'm mixing up the dressing, I usually just wing it and taste test it with a small piece of chicken until it tastes just right.



Tomato Bacon Chicken Salad

3 cups of chopped/shredded, cooked chicken breast
5 slices of cooked bacon, crumbled
1/2 cup chopped sundried tomatoes (I used the kind packed in oil)
3/4 cup mayo
1 tbs parsley
1 tsp lemon juice
A dash (or two...or three...I like mine saucy. But start with one and see how you feel) of worcestershire sauce
Salt and pepper to taste

First, whisk all but the chicken, tomatoes, and bacon together for your dressing. Toss in the bacon, chicken, and tomatoes. Mmm. Serve with crusty bread, crackers, or just plain.

No comments:

Post a Comment