Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Eat your vegetables!


Well, if this won't convince you to eat your good old, healthy veggies, I don't know what will! I stumbled across a Vietnamese recipe for Sweet Avocado Smoothies the other day, and was instantly intrigued. Sweet avocados? Apparently, in places like Vietnam, Indonesia, the Philippines, and Brazil avocados are eaten as a sweet dish, instead of a savory one. As I said, intriguing. So, we gave it a whirl, and guess what? Loved it! My husband was especially fond of it, which quite surprised me. Anyway, I think this will become a fun treat in our house!
The flavor is mild and buttery, and bursting with avocado-ness. The texture was my favorite part. The buttery avocado transformed into a perfectly smooth, silky concoction, and it was just like a milkshake.


If I didn't know better, I would have thought it had ice cream in it! The sweetened condensed milk gives it just the right amount of sweetness, without overwhelming the flavor it making it too sugary. How lovely! Give it a try, and shake things up a bit!



Sweet Avocado Smoothie

Makes about about 2 1/4 cups, enough to serve 2 or 3

1 ripe medium avocado (6–8 ounces)

1 cup ice (8 ice cubes)

1/3 cup sweetened condensed milk

1/4 to 1/2 cup milk

Scoop the avocado flesh into a blender. Add the remaining ingredients, starting out with the least amount of milk and puree until completely smooth. Taste and add additional milk, depending on the avocado type and if a thinner consistency is desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment