Saturday, August 29, 2009

Deep Dark Chocolate Goodness

Hmm...right now I'm listening to Jon Schmidt on Youtube. He plays really beautiful classical piano music. It's very mellowing. : )
I had a chocolate craving a few days ago, so I did some experimenting. I wanted something with cake and frosting, but something a little different and exciting too. So, I made my Aunt's Deep Dark Chocolate Cake recipe (my favorite chocolate cake!) as a layer cake and made a chocolate mousse filling, then frosted it all with sour cream chocolate frosting. Yum! I sure enjoyed it. : ) The cake was wonderfully rich and dark and moist, the mousse gave it a nice creamy contrast without being too sweet, and the frosting had this great zing from the sour cream. I don't typically like frosting at all, but this one was really good. And now I'm getting another chocolate craving. I'm considering making chocolate souffle. I've never made it before, and it's always interested me. I'll keep you posted. ; )



Aunt Marianne's Deep Dark Chocolate Cake
1 3/4 cup flour
2 cups sugar
3/4 cup cocoa
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 cup oil
2 tsp. vanilla
1 cup boiling water

Combine dry ingredients. Add remaining ingredients except boiling water; beat on medium speed two minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin.) Pour into two greased and floured 9" pans. Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes.




Chocolate Mousse Filling

In small bowl, beat 1 cup (1/2 pt.) cold whipping cream, and 1 tablespoon cocoa until creamy. Slowly whisk in a package of chocolate pudding mix.
Cover; refrigerate. About 2 cups. When cakes are cool, spread evenly between layers.


Sour Cream Frosting
2 ounces of semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup of sour cream
3 cups of powdered sugar
1 tsp of vanilla

Beat sour cream with sugar and vanilla until smooth. Mix in melted chocolate. Spread over cake. Store in refrigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment