Tuesday, October 20, 2009

The Age of the Squashes

Today the preschool I work at took a field trip to the pumpkin patch! It was great fun. The kids learned all about pumpkins and pumpkin farming. They got to try pumpkin seeds and apple slushes, see giant pumpkins float in water, and learn about twenty some different kinds of pumpkins, squash, and gourds. They came in so many shapes and colors! Being a squash fanatic myself (I love the stuff! Any kind of squash. Or sweet potato. Or pumpkin. I could eat it all day long.) I was like a kid in a candy store. I went a little squash happy and bought a big ol' bag of different squashes. But they were all really cheap, so I didn't feel too bad. Not to mention packed with things like beta-keratin and vitamins! Anyway, after we visited the store and had the tour, they let us go out into the pumpkin patch and pick as many as we wanted. It was a blast. Twenty plus kids, five teachers, and parents running all over acres of pumpkin field, frantically picking the biggest and best pumpkins they could find. : ) I think we all felt a little bit like kids today.
Here are some of the crazy pumpkins and squashes I got out of the deal.



Fairytale Pumpkin
I think this little gem is just so pretty. : ) When they grow they have a white, dusty frost over them. It makes them look like they came out of a fairytale! The Pumpkin Patch Lady didn't say if they are edible or not, but some sites I've looked up online say they are, so I'm going to try it!




Blue Magic
This bumpy fellow is so much fun, cuz he's blue! These are edible, so I can't wait to roast it up and give it a taste!




White Pumpkins
I got these for jack o' lanterns. They have bright orange flesh on the inside, so I think the contrast of that and the white will be gorgeous.



Buckskin Pumpkin
The Pumpkin Patch Lady said that this is the type of pumpkin they make pumpkin pie out of! It reminds me of butternut squash (my favorite!), so it's bound to be good.




Plain Ol' Punkins
These guys are just your regular, run of the mill halloween pumpkins. I look forward to lots of roasted pumpkin seeds! I did get one smaller one to roast and try...I'm hoping for a good pie, but I've heard mixed reviews, so we'll see.






Carnival and Delicata Squash
Now these guys I'm really excited about. Just read the labels! Don't they sound delicious? Yum, can't wait to try them.






Acorn and Butternut Squash
I didn't take pictures of these, since they're so normal...I figured I'd save the picture taking until I cook 'em up all yummy. Mmmm...

I plan on trying these all out in the next couple weeks, so it will be the month of pumpkin postings! Get excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment