Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Cozy Comfort

I have finally succumbed to the reality that fall is indeed here. A few evenings ago it was cool and windy and gray, and I simply could not deny the fact any longer that the warm sunny days of summer are gone. To help ease the pain, we welcomed it in with classic comfort food- Creamy Tomato Basil Soup.


This was the first time I made this, and it was so. so. good. I will be making this a-lot this winter. The beauty of this recipe is that it has hearty chunks of tomato and onion in it, so it feels more filling than a plain creamy soup, all the while having that great rich, creamy texture. As with most of my concoctions, I started with a recipe and then altered it beyond recognition. But I was pretty happy with what I came up with. : )



Creamy Tomato Basil Soup

1 small yellow onion, chopped
6 tbs butter
1 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes
1 large can of condensed tomato soup, 26ish ounces (the original recipe called for tomato juice...I didn't have it...)
1 1/2 cups of heavy whipping cream (approximately; to be honest, I just poured this in until it looked nice and creamy...)
Basil (I used dry, b/c that's what I had, but I'm sure fresh would be amazing)
Salt
Pepper
Fresh Parmesan cheese (optional)

Saute the chopped onion in the butter. After the onion is nice and cooked and translucent, add the crushed tomatoes, condensed tomato soup, and chicken broth. Add basil, salt, and pepper to taste. Let the soup come to a nice, hot, steamy simmer. Smell it. Yum. Once it's nice and hot, turn off the fire and add the cream. Oh my.
Serve hot with freshly grated parmesan, if desired. I loved the added flavor and texture of the parmesan, but my husband liked it just fine all by itself. You decide. :)

We had this with my mom's wonderful biscuit recipe. These are the biscuits I grew up making and they are still hands down my very favorite.

Super Biscuits
1 pkg yeast
1/4 cup warm water
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tb. sugar
1/2 cup margarine
1 cup buttermilk (or if you don't have buttermilk, 1 tbs vinegar, then enough milk to make 1 cup)

Dissolve the yeast in warm water, setting aside. Mix dry ingredients in the order given, cutting in margarine as is normal for biscuits or pie dough. Stir in buttermilk and yeast mixture. Blend well, then turn the dough onto a floured board and knead lightly. Toll out and cut and place on a greased pan. Let rise slightly, then bake at 400 degrees for 12-15 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. MMMMmmm I'm reading this on an empty stomach and I'm dribbling all over my keyboard! Can't wait to taste this one!
    Shal @ jasmineandginger.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete