Just a quick post today! You all should try Paula Deen's recipe for Hoecakes.
So.So. GOOD. It's like fried little clouds of corn bread. Crispy, buttery, fluffly...try it with butter and honey. Mmmm.
- 1 cup self-rising flour (*I actually used pancake mix for this)
- 1 cup self-rising cornmeal, or from a mix (*I just added a tsp. of baking powder to my cornmeal)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil or bacon grease
- Oil, butter, or clarified margarine, for frying
Mix well all ingredients, except for the frying oil. Heat the frying oil or butter in a medium or large skillet over medium heat. Drop the batter, by full tablespoons, into the hot skillet. Use about 2 tablespoons of batter per hoecake. Fry each hoecake until brown and crisp; turn each hoecake with a spatula, and then brown the other side. With a slotted spoon, remove each hoecake to drain on a paper towel-lined plate. Leftover batter will keep in refrigerator for up to 2 days.