Thursday, June 16, 2011

Using-What-I-Have-In-My-Fridge/Pantry ...*er*... Applesauce Bran Muffins




I remember my mom making these muffins when I was a kid. I also distinctly remember not liking them. Pretty much at all. Hm. But, I had some raisin bran in the cupboard, and that's what came to mind. The reason it came to mind, was that this particular brand of raisin bran has a tendency to settle. So, when you're pouring out your morning (or midnight, as often is the case around here) bowl, all you get is flakes. Eh, not a fan. And the funny thing is, I don't even like raisins. Unless it's in raisin bran. I think it's the healthy crust of sugar they dose them with. Yea, probably that's it. Anyway, to fix this, I scoop out the first five or six cups of just bran cereal. Then we're left with raisin rich cereal. Aah. But, the dilemma becomes, what to do with the extra bran?
And here we are. I thought that maybe since I've grown up, and my palate has refined somewhat, I would actually like them. And, I'm pretty sure my mom made the with the raisins still in the cereal, and I really. don't like cooked raisins. They get all swollen and mushy...yech. So, I tried it! And guess what? They were sooo good! They were sweet, tender, with a nice crispy top and a good hearty feel to them. With all that bran, they have to be healthy, right? And simple! No crazy swollen raisins or other things to complicate them. I have a sneaking suspicion that the raisins were the only problem the whole time.
These would make a great breakfast, snack, or side for any meal.
You could make them with the raisins (if you're that kind of a person...) or some other dried fruit if you so desire. This batter keeps in the fridge for two weeks. I made a dozen right away, and probably have enough left for two or three more dozen. I ate mine with a generous pat of butter and a cold glass of milk. Yum. Score one for Mom!


Applesauce Bran Muffins
(adapted from this recipe)
  • 1 cup Boiling Water
  • 5 1/4 Cups Bran Flakes, Divided
  • 2-½ cups White Whole Wheat Flour
  • 2-½ teaspoons Baking Soda
  • 1 teaspoon Salt
  • ¼ cups Vegetable Oil
  • 1/2 cups Applesauce
  • 2 whole Large Eggs
  • 2 cups Buttermilk
  • 3/4 cups Brown Sugar
  • 3/4 cups White Sugar


In heatproof bowl, pour boiling water over 1 3/4 cups bran flakes. Set aside until cool (roughly 30-45 minutes).

While cereal mixture cools, combine flour, baking soda and salt into a large mixing bowl.

Add vegetable oil and applesauce to the cooled cereal mixture. In another bowl, whisk together eggs, buttermilk and sugars. Add this to the flour mixture and combine. Stir in the remaining dried cereal and, finally, add the water/bran/oil mixture to everything and combine well.

Place batter in large plastic container, cover, and let sit overnight in the refrigerator.

Preheat oven to 375ºF. Lightly spray or grease muffin cups and fill in as many cups as desired. Batter can sit in the fridge for up to two weeks. Fill cups with approximately 1/4 cup batter and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.


No comments:

Post a Comment