Sunday, September 20, 2009

Oh, Franklin...

There's this super cutesy little tea house in our town. They serve about a million and half different flavors and kinds of teas, all in your own little pot, with sugar cubes and milk (if you want it...I never drink hot tea without milk...leftover influence from my Scottish experience.)
The lady who owns the place keeps lacey tablecloths on each table, has a rack of fancy hats and scarves you can wear if you want, and even has this little piano that will play itself for a quarter. My niece loooves the place, and we're going to take her there for her fifth birthday with grandmas, aunts, and a cousin. Anyway, we discovered recently that they also have amaaazing sandwiches. We're talking good. All with names like "Emmaline" and "Lena May" and "Oliver". I ordered a Franklin- deli roast beef, provolone cheese, mild horseradish sauce, all grilled on marbled rye toast.
Uh, YUM. It was so good. So good that I decided I had to try to recreate it. Here is my attempt. Oh yeah, by the way, it's tasty. : )


"The Franklin Attempt"

Butter
Deli Roast Beef
Provolone Cheese
Horseradish Cream Sauce (I used Food Network's Alton Brown's recipe, only I used jarred horseradish instead of fresh)
Bread- you can use whatever you like here. The first time I made it I used "Soft Rye Bread", a kind of mild, light colored, smooth rye bread. It was really great. The second time, I didn't have any left, so I used some homemade wheat bread I had. It was really great. So, I think you can take your pick. It will be really great.

Heat a skillet over medium heat, adding 1-2 tbs of butter to melt. Take 4-5 pieces of roast beef per sandwich and lightly fry until it's heated through. I just happen to like my meat warm in a warm sandwich. I do this with all my grilled sandwiches. Butter both slices of bread and layer with meat, cheese, and horseradish cream sauce. Top with second slice of bread, add another tbs of butter to the skillet, then grill until golden brown and toasty.
Eat up!

No comments:

Post a Comment