Saturday, October 23, 2010

Party in your mouth!


So, the wonderful thing about potatoes and eggs is they are cheap! We currently have lots of potatoes and eggs, and so I've been trying to find creative ways to use them. I've found my favorite. Potato-Crusted Quiche. Mmmmm. I believe my husband's exact words word "It's like a party in your mouth!" I used this recipe from Tasty Kitchen, but made some alterations, so I'll just post my version on here. I used ham instead of pancetta, didn't have any spinach so I left it out, and added swiss cheese and some garlic. I also thought the egg mixture was a little thin, so I added an extra egg. It was truly amazing. The sweetness of the swiss cheese and the saltiness of the ham blended perfectly with the sundried tomatoes. And the layer of the potatoes on the bottom...I can't describe it, but they just added a whole other layer of buttery, tender deliciousness. I can't wait to have the leftovers for lunch on Monday!



Potato-Crusted Ham and Swiss Quiche with Sundried Tomatoes

  • FOR THE POTATO CRUST:
  • 1 pound Red-skinned Potatoes, Cut Into 1/8-inch Slices
  • 1 Tablespoon Butter, Melted
  • ¼ cups (packed) Grated Parmesan Cheese
  • ½ teaspoons Kosher Salt
  • ½ teaspoons Freshly Ground Black Pepper

  • FOR THE FILLING:
  • 3 ounces ham Cut Into 1/2-inch Dice
  • two cloves of minced garlic
  • 4 whole Eggs
  • 1 cup Whole Milk
  • ⅓ cups (packed) Parmesan Cheese
  • ½ teaspoons Freshly Ground Black Pepper
  • Sundried tomatoes
  • Three slices of swiss cheese

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.

In a medium bowl, combine the potatoes, melted butter, 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, salt, and freshly ground black pepper.

Coat a 9-inch pie plate with cooking spray and arrange the potatoes in concentric circles on the bottom and sides of the dish. Make sure to cover the spaces between each potato slice with another, as the slices will shrink during cooking and you want to avoid having gaps between the potatoes. Bake until the potatoes are light golden brown, 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool on a rack.

Reduce the oven temperature to 375 degrees F.

Tear up one of the slices of swiss and layer on the potato crust.

Fry the ham with the minced garlic over medium heat, until browned. Spoon on top of the potato crust. Layer on sundried tomatoes. Sprinkle with some of the parmesan.

Whisk together the eggs, milk, pepper, remaining parmesan, and last two torn up slices of swiss.

Pour on top of the ham and tomatoes. Bake the quiche until the eggs are set and golden brown, 30 to 40 minutes. To test, insert a small sharp knife into the center of the eggs. If it comes out clean, the eggs are set.

Let the quiche cool for 10 minutes. Cut into wedges and serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment