Friday, November 20, 2009

Em-panadas


This is one of my husband’s very favorite foods. Which must mean I’m doing SOMETHING right. He is definitely not a picky eater. When he says he’ll eat anything, he pretty much means it. So, usually, he likes pretty much anything I make. But when he requests it, that’s when I know it’s good.
This is actually very simple. For my filling I use my cheesy chip dip, and the crust is that amazing pie crust I just raved about. Usually when I make this I only make four. We will usually each eat one for supper and then have one each for leftovers. They reheat pretty well in the oven. Not as great as the first time around, of course, but definitely decent leftovers.



Em’s Empanadas
Serves 8
2 PW Perfect Pie Crust
1 beaten egg (for egg wash)
1 lb. browned hamburger
8 oz. cream cheese
8-10 oz. velveeta
1 12 oz. jar of your favorite salsa (I personally love On the Border)

(Please note: these proportions are really to taste- maybe you want yours cheesier or more salsa-y or with more meat…feel free to mix it up)

For my chip dip I will usually mix all of the ingredients in a crockpot and let them simmer for a few hours, but usually when I’m making empanadas I don’t waste time on that, so I just use the microwave. Mix hamburger, cheeses, and salsa in a bowl and microwave until creamy and smooth. Adjust proportions according to taste.
Cut each rolled out pie crust into fourths. Spoon a generous spoonful of filling onto a fourth (I must warn you…you will be sorely tempted to put in more filling then the crust can handle…I know cuz I do this every single time. Nothing horrible will happen, it will just ooze out and not fit perfectly when you try to fold up the crust. And your empanada won’t be as pretty. I myself have resigned myself to this fact. I just want more filling.) Fold the pie crust over and pinch edges to seal. Brush with beaten egg.
Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve plain, or with extra filling on the top, or with salsa and sour cream…or whatever makes your skirt fly up. : )

No comments:

Post a Comment