Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Soda Shop Sandwich

When I was a kid this new shop opened up downtown. It specialized in old fashioned drinks, like phosphates and green rivers, along with good old everyday fare. My older sister worked there for awhile. I still remember this was my favorite meal to order. Ham and Cheese on a bagel. With cream cheese. And avocado. Yum. Here’s my rendition.


Ham and Cheese Bagel
1 Bagel
5-6 slices of deli ham
Cream Cheese
3-4 slices of avocado

Lightly sauté the ham slices in a skillet, until they have a nice color and are warmed through. Toast the bagel. Spread cream cheese on each side of the bagel. Layer on ham slices. Top with fresh avocado slices. If desired you can also add slices of red onion.



I also had sauteed mushrooms and sugar snap peas on the side. This is one of my favorite veggies sides, and simple too! It is my ultimate favorite way to eat mushrooms. The key here is to get them nice and crispy…not burned, but just crispy. And delicious. I could eat this as my vegetable side dish every day.


Sugar Snap Peas and Mushrooms

Frozen sugar snap peas, thawed
White button mushrooms
Minced garlic
Butter
Sea Salt

Melt 2-3 tbs of butter in a skillet. Add minced garlic, mushrooms, and peas. Let sauté for a few minutes, stirring to keep from burning. Sprinkle with sea salt. Continue sautéing until the peas are cooked through and mushrooms are slightly crispy. Serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment